Aligarh Fort in UP India
Aligarh Fort (Hindi: अलीगढ़ क़िला, Urdu: علی گڑھ قلعہ Aligarh Qila) one of the strongest forts in India. Aligarh was earlier named as Kol or Koil. Fort is also called "Aligarh Qila". It is situated on the Grand Trunk road and consists of a regular polygon, structure surrounded by a very broad and deep ditch.
SummaryAligarh fort has been ruled by many governors and rulers - including Sabit Khan, Surajmal Jat in 1753 , Madhavrao Scindia in 1759.
The fort was expanded three times in 1753 by lieutenant Banasaur, commanding officer of contemporary ruler Surajmal Jat, to include a basement, an explosives warehouse and an air cooled kitchen.
Fort nowThe fort is built on a hill, north of the Aligarh Muslim University at Barauli Marg. It has steep ravines, over 30 feet high, on every side, and bastions in every angle on the walls.
Now Aligarh fort is managed by Aligarh Muslim University (AMU). AMU university uses part of the internal area fort as part of Botany Department.
History of Aligarh Fort
Monument was built in 1524-25. It was built during the time of Ibrahim Lodi by Muhammad, son of Umar the
governor of Kol. Sabit Khan who was the governor of this region
during the time of Farrukh Siyar and Muhammad Shah, further rebuilt the fort.
Later it became a fortress of great importance under Madhavrao I Scindia in 1759,
and was the depot where he drilled and organized his battalions in the European
fashion with the aid of French soldier Benoît de Boigne.
During the Battle of Ally Ghur, Aligarh Fort was captured from the Marathas under the leadership of a French officer Perron by Lord Gerard Lake's British army, in September 1803, since which time it has been much strengthened and improved.
In the freedom fight of 1857 the troops stationed at Aligarh became rebellion against Bristih givt, but abstained from murdering their officers, who, with the other residents and ladies and children, succeeded in reaching Hathras.