Palakkad Fort (Tipu's Fort) is an old granite fort situated in the heart of Palakkad town of Kerala state, southern India. It was built by Haider Ali in 1766 ACE and remains one of the best preserved forts in Kerala.
The Palakkad Fort is said to have existed from very ancient times it was made in 1766 A.D, but little is known of its early history. The local ruler, Palakkad Achchan, was originally a tributary of the Zamorin, but had become independent before the beginning of the eighteenth century.  In 1757 he sent a deputation to Haider Ali seeking help against an invasion threatened by the Zamorin. Haider Ali seized upon the opportunity to gain possession of a strategically important location such as Palghat, and from that time until 1790 the fort was continually in the hands of the Mysore Sultans or the British. It was first taken by the latter in 1768 when Colonel Wood captured it during his raid on Haider Alis's fortresses, but it was retaken by Haider a few months later. It was recaptured by Colonel Fullarton in 1783, after a siege that lasted eleven days but was abandoned the following year. It later fell into the hands of the Zamorin’s troops. In 1790 it was finally captured by the British under Colonel Stuart. It was renovated and was used as a base for operations that ended with the storming of Srirangapatnam. The fort continued to be garrisoned until the middle of 19th century. In the early 1900s it was converted into a taluk office.The fort is also known as Tipu's Fort (after Tipu Sultan, the son of Hyder Ali).
There is a large ground between the Fort and the Palakkad Town hall, known as Kota Maidanam (Fort Grounds). The ground, which had once served as a stable for the elephants and horses of Tipu's army, is now used to stage cricket matches, exhibitions and public meetings. An open air auditorium called "Rappadi", currently under the preservation of the Archaeological Survey of India, is also located within the spacious grounds of the Fort. Additionally, there is a children's park on one side of the Fort.There is a small Anjaneya (Lord Hanuman) temple inside the fort that attracts a number of devotees.Palakkad Fort
Bus Facilities:Palakkad is
connected to all major towns and cities of Kerala through a wide network of
roads and is easily accessible from anywhere in Kerala.
Train Facilities:Palakkad has two railway stations. The main station called Palakkad junction is located at a distance of 5 kilometers from Palakkad.
Air Facilities:Pallakkad Located at a distance of 160 kilometers from the Palakkad is the Cochin International Airport. Another airport is located at Coimbatore, which is around 55 kilometers from Palakkad.